Sunday, July 7, 2013

Scottish Reflections

It's Sunday morning and here I sit looking over the rooftops of Glasgow. This is a new experience for me, traveling to another country. Looking at buildings that predate anything I've ever witnessed before. For some reason when I've traveled around the states I have found it easy to transport myself to the ealier periods of the land. But here I'm struggling. The Mists of Avalon only takes you so far. Spending time in the city is nice but its the islands I crave to see. So for me this is a holding zone. A time to prepare for the trip I'm here for. While others sleep or share breakfasts inside I sit here on the rooftop and to be honest I'm reminiscing about what that song means to me. Joining a community of knitters in a far away land brings with it surprises, challenges, and unexpected emotions in how to navigate the adventure. So to be honest I am savoring this time up on this rooftop with my thoughts so far from here. An American, far from home and in Scotland, I wonder how this will go. It's funny how alone time, at least for me, finds the mind to flitter about. It takes more ability then I can muster to still the thoughts. So I sit and listen to the seagulls. Their sound transports me to yet a different time and place, the Jersey shore. That sound symbolizes freedom, beauty, and carefree days. May that sound guide my adventures here as we travel the islands abroad. Now to find a pair of pants. "For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The grat affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this featherbed of civilisation. and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints". Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-94) in the classic travellers' tale "Travels with a Donkey" Cheers, Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment